Overall Rating ***** 4/5
During my 2 day stay in London, I stayed at the YHA London Central Hostel. If you are looking for a quiet, spacious, no fuss and centrally located hostel then this may be a good option, however if you are looking for a hostel that provides a unique experience, then this may not be a good fit.
Pro: The hostel was clean, well equipped and centrally situated.
Con: The atmosphere wasn't as warm, friendly or cozy as other hostels I've been to.
Location ***** 4/5
As it's name suggests, YHA London Central is located in a nice central part of London and is about 10 minutes walk from the Oxford Circus metro station.
I felt comfortable walking the streets in the morning, during the day and in the evening, and did not feel unsafe during these times.
Check-in Process ***** 4/5
The check-in process was efficient and the staff were professional. On check-in I got:
- Key card for access to the hostel entrance, your room and other facilities
- A free map of London
- WI-FI password
The room ***** 5/5
- Overall feel: the 6 bed dorm was clean, spacious and tidy but felt a little dated.
- En-suite toilet and bathroom: Yes (additional toilet and bathroom available in the hall)
- Bed: no issues with the bed, and I slept pretty well.
- Convenient power source for electronics: Yes (personal power and reading light for each bed)
- Security: large locker for each bed (can fit a carry on backpack, but bring your own lock)
Facilities and Services ***** 4/5
- Laundry: Coin operated washer and dryer (Laundry facilities are available here at a reasonable cost. It was however broken on the days of my visit)
- Kitchen: free use of the well equipped kitchen. (The kitchen however wasn't very clean on the days of my visit.)
- Reception: 24 hours
- Wi-Fi: Only available in the communal area. Speed seemed to be okay.
- Security: The hostel felt safe and secure. (I didn't feel unsafe nor did I feel there were any risk to my personal belongings due to the availability of a personal locker for my bag).
- Cleanliness: Apart from the kitchen, the hostel facilities and rooms were quite clean.
- Breakfast included: No
- Cafe/Restaurant: Yes (though I didn't try any of their food or drinks)
Atmosphere ***** 3/5Hostel Type: Cheap and efficient
The hostel both in terms of the building design and the social interaction had a quiet and industrial feel to it. Unlike other hostels it didn't seem to emit a warm cozy feel that provides a unique and memorable experience.